- Canon Inc. was founded in 1937. Canon Europe was established twenty years later in 1957
- Canon Inc. employs approximately 194,000 people worldwide. Canon Europe employs 17,000 people across 20 local country operations in the EMEA region
- Canon’s consolidated net sales for Canon Inc. for second quarter of fiscal 2014 were ¥926.8 billion (US $9.2 billion or €6.7 billion).
- Dollar and euro amounts are translated solely for the convenience of the reader from yen at the rate of JPY 101 = US $1 and JPY 138 = 1 euro for Q2 2014 figures, the approximate exchange rate on the Tokyo Foreign Exchange market as of June 30 2014.
- Canon Inc. remained profitable in second quarter of fiscal 2014 with a net income of ¥80.8 billion (US $800.5 million or €585 million).
- Canon Europe contributes approximately a third of the company’s global revenue, selling to customers in more than 116 countries and regions in Europe, the Middle East and Africa
- Canon’s first European manufacturing site, Canon Giessen GmbH, was established in Germany in 1972
- Canon’s corporate philosophy is encapsulated in the word Kyosei, meaning living and working together for the common good
- Canon’s Brand Promise is to help people realise the Power of Image
- The European Brand Strapline, You Can, was launched in 2002 and is designed to inspire and encourage customers to realise the Power of Image
- Canon was ranked 35th in Interbrand’s 100 Best Global Brands 2013 survey and 26th in Interbrand's Best Global Green Brands 2014 survey
- Canon has also been awarded Reader’s Digest Most Trusted Camera Brand in Europe for 14 consecutive years
- Canon was ranked 6th in the Fortune World’s Most Admired Companies 2014 Industry ranking (‘Computers’ category)
Canon’s commitment to sustainability is focused in three key areas: Business, Environment and Society. Canon EMEA signed up to the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) in January 2014 to demonstrate and formalise our ongoing commitment to human rights, labour standards, the environment and anti-corruption.
- Canon looks for opportunities to support its customers, so they improve their business efficiency, develop and become more successful and lower their environmental impacts, by offering services and solutions to address their business needs
- Canon grows its own business responsibly, supporting wider economic growth, operating fairly and complying with regulations and standards
- All employees are bound by the Canon Group code of conduct which covers areas such as anti-bullying, fair competition and corporate ethics
- Canon believes that a sustainable business interacts with the communities where it operates, promoting wider economic growth and integrating the interests of society with consideration for the environment. We make a positive contribution to society, engaging with communities and stakeholders wherever we operate and respecting our ethical obligations
- Canon supports employees by clearly outlining what is expected of them, appraising their performance and developing their skills and career opportunities within the company
Research and Development
- In fiscal 2013, the Company invested ¥306.3 billion in R&D, accounting for more than 8% of sales
- In 2013, the Company was granted 3,825 patents* in the United States, placing it third among all corporations
- Canon has ranked among the top 5 U.S. patent recipients for 28 consecutive years
*Source: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office; Calculated based upon announcements of weekly totals.