If error messages appear on the screen, try one of the following solutions.
|No memory card||The memory card may be inserted facing the wrong way. Reinsert the memory card facing the correct way.|
|Memory card locked||The write-protect tab of the memory card is set to the locked position. Switch the write-protect tab to the unlocked position.|
The [Memory card locked] message appears on the screen
|Cannot record!||Shooting was attempted without a memory card in the camera. To shoot, insert a memory card facing the correct way.|
|Memory card error||The memory card may be malfunctioning. You may be able to solve this problem by formatting the memory card (low level formatting).|
Formatting a Memory Card
If the same error message is displayed even when you have inserted a formatted memory card facing the correct way, contact a Canon Customer Support Help Desk.
|Insufficient space on card||There is not enough free space on the memory card to shoot or edit images. Either erase unneeded images or insert a memory card with enough free space.|
|Charge the battery||Battery charge is insufficient to operate the camera. Replace it at once with a charged one or recharge the battery.|
|No Image.||The memory card does not contain any images that can be displayed.|
|Protected!||The image is protected. Follow the procedures below to remove the protection.|
- Press the <Playback> () button, and then turn the power on. Touch the () button > the [Playback] () tab > [Protect] > [Select] and then select the image for which you want to remove protection. Next, touch the <FUNC./SET> () button to remove protection.
Image too large.
Cannot play back AVI
|- Unsupported or corrupt images cannot be displayed.|
- It may not be possible to display images that were edited or renamed on a computer, or images shot with another camera.
Cannot play back this content in Smart Shuffle
Cannot modify image
Cannot register this image!
Cannot assign to category
The following functions may be unavailable for images that were renamed or already edited on a computer, or images shot with another camera.
Note that starred (*) functions are not available for movies.
Magnify* , Smart Shuffle* , Categorize , Rotate , Edit* , Assign as Start-up Image* , Print List* , and Photobook Set-up* .
|Invalid selection range||When specifying a range for image selection, you attempted to choose an initial image that was after the final image, or vice-versa.|
|Exceeded selection limit||- More than 998 images were selected for Print List or Photobook Set-up. Choose 998 images or less.|
- Print List or Photobook Set-up settings could not be saved correctly. Reduce the number of selected images and try again.
- You attempted to choose more than 500 images in Protect, Erase, Favorites, My Category, Print List, or Photobook Set-up.
An excessive amount of images (approx. 1,000) on the memory card prevented printing or image transfer to a computer. To transfer the images, use a commercially available USB card reader. To print, insert the memory card directly into the printer card slot.
The folder could not be created or images could not be recorded, because the highest supported folder number (999) for storing images on the card has been reached and the highest supported image number (9999) for images in folders has been reached. In the () menu, change [File Numbering] to [Auto Reset] , or format the memory card.
Formatting a Memory Card
|Lens Error||- This error may occur if the lens is held while it is moving, or when the camera is used in dusty or sandy locations.|
- Frequent display of this error message may indicate camera damage. In this case, contact a Canon Customer Support Help Desk.
| A camera error was detected|
|- If this error message is displayed immediately after a shot, the image may not have been saved. Switch to Playback mode to check for the image.|
- Frequent display of this error message may indicate camera damage. In this case, write down the error number (Exx) and contact a Canon Customer Support Help Desk.
|File Error||Photos from other cameras or images that have been altered using computer software may not be printable.|
|Print error||Check the paper size settings. If this message appears when the settings are correct, turn the printer off and back on, then make the settings again.|
|Ink absorber full||Contact a Canon Customer Support Help Desk for an ink absorber replacement.|